How do I reset a passphrase?
Hushmail Business customers who have enabled passphrase recovery can reset passphrases for users on their domain who have lost or forgotten their passphrases. Passphrase recovery has to either be enabled before user accounts are created, or if it is enabled subsequent to user accounts being created, users will be required to change their passphrases.
To reset a user's passphrase you will need:
- To be able to access to a passphrase component
- To be able to sign into Hushtools with your administrator account.
To access a passphrase component:
- Sign into the Hushmail account in which your domain's passphrase components are stored. This account will either be your administrator account, or specific accounts designated by you when you configured passphrase recovery.
- Click on the mail folder named Passphrase Shadows
- Open the most recent email for the account whose passphrase you wish to reset.
- Copy the passphrase component that is included in the message, as you will need this to reset the passphrase.
To reset a passphrase, please follow these steps:
- Sign into Hushtools with your administrator account.
- Click on Users, followed by Show all users to display a list of users on your domain.
- Click the edit link next to the user name you wish to reset the passphrase for.
- Click Reset Passphrase
- Paste the passphrase component into the field named Paste one of the passphrase components required for reset
- Enter your new passphrase in the field labeled Enter the new passphrase and confirm the passphrase.
- Click OK. You will now be able to sign into the account using the new passphrase.
Note: Customers with legacy plans not listed on our website might not have passphrase recovery enabled. You may contact us to have this feature enabled. As indicated above, this is not a retroactive solution. If the passphrase is already lost and the feature was not enabled, then enabling it after will not allow you to reset the passphrase