Hushmail users can send encrypted emails to any email address, if you are a Hushmail user and you receive an encrypted email from another Hushmail user reading the message is as simple as logging into your Hushmail account and clicking on the message you wish to read. The message will automatically be decrypted when you read the message. If you are not a Hushmail user and you receive an encrypted email from a Hushmail user you have received a Hushmail Express message and you will receive a notification email that provides instructions for reading the message. To read a Hushmail Express message follow these steps:
- The Hushmail Express notification looks like this:
- Clicking on the Link in the email will take you to our website where you can decrypt your message.
- You will be presented with a question you have 5 tries to answer the question correctly. Click Continue when you have answered the question.
- When you have successfully answered the question the message will be displayed.
- Click on the link to see what the message would look like if it were intercepted and how it is stored on our servers.
Receiving a Hushmail Express message that requires you to create a passphrase
Hushmail Business can be configured to require that the recipient of a Hushmail Express message create a passphrase before they are allowed to decyrpyt their message. When a recipient creates a passphrase an encryption key is created for the recipients email address. The system will from thereon automatically encrypt messages to that email address. Hushmail Business Domain administrators have the ability to make passphrase creation mandatory, or optional. If you receive a Hushmail Express message that requires that you create a Passphrase follow these steps to read your message:
Clicking on the Link in the email will take you to our website where you be prompted to create a passphrase.
- Choose a passphrase and confirm your passphrase choice. Click Create Account.
- Answer the question that was set when the message was sent, and then click Continue.
Receiving a Hushmail Express message that has an attachment
Senders of Hushmail Express messages can attach attachments to their messages. If you receive a Hushmail Express message with an attachment open the message as described above:
- Clicking on the attachment file name link will download your attachment.
- Click the Save button and and save the file on your computer.