We’ll show you how to turn two-step verification on for your account. We’ll also show you how to locate and use a special security code so you can sign in to a desktop or mobile email application, such as Outlook or Mac Mail, after you’ve enabled this extra security feature.
Using two-step verification:
Two-step verification prevents unauthorized access to your Hushmail account by using a 2-stage process to authenticate your identity. The first step is to sign in using your email address and passphrase, and the second step is entering a verification code that we’ll send by text message to your mobile phone, or by email to an alternate address. You can also obtain a verification code using a smartphone app.
Steps to turn on two-step verification
- Sign in to your Hushmail account
- Go to the Preferences page by clicking the menu in the upper right corner:
3. Select the Security tab, and click the pencil icon to set two-step verification to On
4. Click Continue and follow the on-screen instructions. If you plan on using a desktop or mobile email application, such as Outlook or Mac Mail, be sure to read the following section for additional steps.
Using two-step verification with a desktop or mobile email application:
When signing in to a desktop or mobile email application with our two-step verification feature enabled, you'll need to enter additional information into the Password field in the mail program.
We provide you with a 20-character security code in your Preferences, which you'll enter in addition to your regular passphrase.
Steps to find and use your security code
1. Sign into your Hushmail account in webmail
2. Select Preferences from the menu in the top-right corner
3. Click on the Security tab
4. Make sure two-step verification is enabled
5. At the bottom of the Security tab, find the section labeled Using a desktop or mobile email application, as shown below
6. At the bottom of this section, find the line that reads your_passphrase, followed by a space, then a 20-letter security code separated by spaces: your_passphrase xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx
7. When prompted for your password in the email program, enter in your Hushmail passphrase in place of the your_passphrase placeholder, then a space, then the 20-letter security code (including the spaces but being sure to not add a space at the end)
Example – if your passphrase is your_passphrase you'd enter in: your_passphrase xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx
NOTE: Depending on the mail program, you may need to enter this in for both the incoming and outgoing server settings sections.
- The first time you sign in to your account after turning two-step verification on, you will be asked to enter a verification code, which will be sent via your method of choice. Once you enter the code, the device will be registered.
- When you turn on two-step verification, you also receive a backup verification code. Be sure to keep this code in a safe place. You can use this code to gain access to your Hushmail account in case you have no means of receiving your verification code through your mobile phone or your alternate email address.
If you need extra help with signing in to your desktop or mobile email application after two-step verification is enabled, Customer Care is always happy to assist.